I lovvvvvvvvvve ice cream. Everyone that knows me knows how much I love it. But – what they don’t know is how much I love frozen custard more than I love ice cream. How can that be possible, you wonder?
Oh, let me count the ways… hmmmmmmm
For those of you who haven’t had frozen custard, imagine frozen creme brûlée served by the scoop with all the fantastic toppings you put on ice cream.
Oh the toppings! I love toppings on my ice cream. I love toppings on frozen custard even more.
So, for this weeks’ recipe, it’s Vanilla Frozen Custard*:
6 egg yolks (save the whites for another day – they can be frozen for months)
8 oz heavy cream
24 oz whole milk
2 tablespoons vanilla
9 oz sugar
1. Pour the heavy cream and milk into a medium sized saucepan. Heat over a medium flame, stirring with a whisk often.
2. Beat the egg yolks until frothy. Add the sugar and continue to beat until light yellow.
3. When the dairy combination begins to simmer, slowly add about 1/3 of it into the egg/sugar mixture. Using a whisk beat the mixture quickly so that the eggs don’t scramble.
4. Add a second third of the cream/milk into the egg mixture and whisk.
5. Then, pour the egg/dairy mixture back into the pot with the rest of the dairy.
6. Simmer, whisking often, until the custard reaches 170 degrees Fahrenheit, or when you dip a spoon into the custard it coats the back and stays.
7. Pour the custard through the strainer into the large bowl. Doing this catches any bits of egg that may have inadvertently scrambled.
8. Let the custard sit for 15 minutes, then add the vanilla and stir.
9. Place the custard in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or until very cold.
10. Make the custard according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
I love to add chopped nuts, chocolate, brownies, cookies, fruit, and other toppings to my custard. What are your favorites? Leave your choice in the comments for a chance to win a $7 gift certificate** to Liza’s Kitchen.
*Frozen Custard shown has Key Lime Pie mixed in. Key Lime Pie is next week’s recipe!
**winner will be chosen randomly